Category Archive: Products
Since 1995, BI-TORQ Valve Automation, a division of Strahman Valves, has been a preeminent provider of PVC, CPVC, brass, and stainless steel ball valves, plus actuators. We specialize in automated and manual valve packages for a variety of industries and applications, including:
- Oil and Gas Industry
- Municipal and Commercial Applications
- Chemical and Plastic Manufacturing
- Food and Beverage Industry
- Industrial Machinery
We offer an assortment of valve designs, depending on the needs of the application. Our selection includes ball valves, butterfly valves, and actuators. We are pleased to offer a full selection of both automated and manual ball valves.
Our manual quarter-turn valves come in 1/4” – 4” sizes, and most include OSHA-approved locking mechanisms. ISO mounting pads are available on virtually all of our manual ball valve designs, in case there is need for automation later.
Like the manual ball valves, our automated ball valve packages are also available in 1/4” – 4” sizes. They can be purchased with either pneumatic or electrical actuators, in both 2-way and 3-way designs. Our automated ball valve systems come fully assembled and tested, so that they can be immediately installed and put to use.
Our manual and automated ball valve designs come in a range of materials. To ensure you’re using the best material for a given application, it’s important to understand the strengths and weaknesses of each one. For easy reference, we have compiled a summary of the different ball valve materials and their uses.
Stainless Steel Ball Valves
Stainless steel ball valves offer many advantages, especially for high pressure applications, corrosive chemicals, and harsh environments, including:
- Durability: They exhibit high tensile strength and hardness, which makes them difficult to damage, and are highly resistant to extreme temperature and pressure.
- Corrosion Resistance: The valves are blended with chromium to create an oxidized corrosion-resistant surface, which makes them resistant to rust and corrosion.
- Cost-Efficiency: They are less expensive than other types of valves, and because of their durability and corrosion-resistance, you don’t need to worry about frequently replacing them, leading to a longer service life and lower maintenance costs.
Stainless steel ball valves are used in an array of applications, including:
- Crude Oil Refineries
- Marine Environments
- Paint Production
- Brewing Systems
Brass Ball Valves
Brass has been a popular material for ball valves in the oil and gas industry, chemical manufacturing, and water treatment for years. It was previously manufactured with lead, which made it a poor choice for drinking water and food and beverage applications; however, newer brass alloys can be created with or without lead.
Brass is softer than stainless steel and easier to shape and mold into ball valve components. It’s corrosion-resistant except when exposed to chlorine, which can corrode brass over time.
Due to their softer nature, bronze ball valves are often used in lighter industrial and municipal applications, such as:
- LP and Natural Gas Conveyance
- HVAC Applications
- Residential and Commercial Water
- Compressed Air
PVC and CPVC Ball Valves
Polyvinyl chloride, or PVC, is a useful thermoplastic material used in valves for piping systems composed of the same material. PVC valves are lighter than their metal counterparts, inexpensive to produce, and highly corrosion-resistant, which makes them useful in both residential and industrial applications. However, PVC is not suitable for high temperature uses, as it will melt or warp at temperatures above 140° F.
PVC ball valves are used anywhere extensive PVC piping is found, including:
- Plumbing Pipes
- Irrigation Systems
- Pool and Spa Pipes
- Chemical Production
- Electric Conduits
Chlorinated polyvinyl chloride, or CPVC, is similar to PVC in that it is lightweight, corrosion-resistant, and inexpensive. The additional chlorination allows CPVC to withstand higher temperatures up to 200° F, and makes it less susceptible to bacterial growth.
CPVC ball valves are useful for a variety of applications, such as:
- Drinkable Water Distribution
- Fire Sprinkler Systems
- Corrosive Chemical Conveyance
Choose BI-TORQ for Your Valve Automation Needs!
With a wide range of materials to choose from, BI-TORQ will have the right valve for your needs. Our automated and manual ball valve packages are available in an array of designs to suit any application.
For more information on our high quality PVC, brass, and stainless steel ball valves, contact us today or request a quote.
Since 1981, BI-TORQ Valve Automation has provided valve and actuation products to industrial, commercial, and municipal customers across a diverse set of industries. Over our three decades working with reputable valve and actuator manufacturers, we gained a deep understanding of the industry, which allows our experts to match the right products to the right applications.
Our products find use in equipment for practically every industry that uses valves. Some of the key industries that particularly rely on valve automation include:
- Chemical & Plastic Manufacturing
- Food & Beverage
- Oil & Gas
- Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Machinery
Regardless of industry, BI-TORQ is ready to provide the ideal valve automation solution.
Valve Automation for Various Industries
Valves and valve automation products play a critical role in a wide range of industries. To meet the varying demands of these industries, we supply a variety of different products.
Here are some of the key industries we serve and how we fulfill their needs:
The Chemical and Plastic Industry
Working in the chemical and plastic industry often means working with hazardous materials. To facilitate safe processing and manufacturing operations, valves for this industry must be highly precise and tightly sealed to guarantee the production of specific formulations. These valves must also provide reliable performance under extreme environmental conditions and meet rigorous mechanical and safety standards.
For this industry, we provide the following valves that meet its requirements:
- IS-3TC (sanitary) series
- FS/FW (API 607 fire) series
- IS-2PF (150# flanged) series
The Food and Beverage Industry
Food and beverage industry valves are subject to strict standards from multiple regulatory organizations, including NSF International, 3-A Sanitary Standards, Inc., and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). These standards dictate several factors regarding design and construction to facilitate sanitary processing conditions, such as the construction material:
- Smoothness (or roughness) and permeability
- Corrosion resistance
- Lead content
Our automated valves suitable for use in food and beverage applications include:
- IS-3TC series
- IS-3PT series
- BY butterfly valve series
- Customized hardware with heat and stem extensions
The Oil and Gas Industry
The oil and gas industry rely on pipes and pipelines to distribute its products. These systems, in turn, rely on valves to regulate the flow of gas and oil, protect critical equipment, and control the refining process. As oil and gas generally move under high pressure, it is important that valves maintain adequate pressure levels for optimal system performance. Oil and gas industry valves, therefore, need to have tight seals while still opening and closing quickly.
Some of the most commonly used valves in the oil and gas industry include ball valves, globe valves, control valves, check valves, and butterfly valves. The BI-TORQ valves available that are suitable for oil and gas applications include:
- FS/FW (API 607 fire safe) series
- ED50/W50 (API 607 fire safe) series
- IS-2PF (150# flanged) series
- Thermal Shut-off Assemblies
The OEM Machinery Industry
The OEM machinery industry provides equipment for a wide range of industrial applications, encompassing everything from generators and canning machinery to industrial laundry equipment and more. Virtually any OEM system that involves fluid needs valves that are safe, reliable, and highly responsive.
For the OEM industry, we offer the following valves:
- IP (brass) series
- IS-2P (2-pc) series
- BY (butterfly valve) series
- Customized hardware with tee or tandem valve linkages to suit the application
Choose BI-TORQ for High-Quality Valve Automation Solutions
At BI-TORQ, we have the experience and inventory necessary to offer quality valve automation solutions for virtually any industrial need. Whether you’re in the chemical and plastic industry or the oil and gas industry, we can provide you with an automated valve that meets your project specifications and industry standards.
To learn more about our automated valve offerings and how they can suit your industrial application, contact us or request a quote.
BI-TORQ has been an industry leader in valve automation components for almost 40 years. Between our diverse inventory, experienced technical staff, and customizable packages, we are proud to call ourselves a single-service provider for industrial, commercial, and municipal valve automation needs.
Controlled by an electric actuator mechanism, automated ball valves represent one of our most versatile offerings and can be used across a wide range of industries to control the flow of liquids. The valve and actuator components work together to provide a simple, cost-effective solution for fluid containment.
How Does an Automated Ball Valve Work?
A ball valve employs a rotating ball with a hole—also called a port or bore—drilled through it to control the flow of media. When this hole lines up with the flow direction of the pipe, fluid can move through. Rotating the ball 90 degrees (quarter-turn) so that the bore is perpendicular to the pipe wall closes the valve, blocking the flow of liquid against a seal. This design lends itself to use without lubrication, simplicity, and durability, which make ball valves a versatile valve for a broad range of applications.
Ball valves can be automated in several ways, with an electric actuator being a popular choice. An electric actuator uses electricity to drive a motor and gear train to close or open a valve. Electric actuators allow for more precise movements than are possible by other actuators, making them a desirable option for controlling media in applications.
Electric Actuators & Ball Valves Available at BI-TORQ
BI-TORQ carries an extensive line of ball valves and valve actuators that can be combined to suit virtually any application, including:
- BI-100 Electric Actuator: The BI-100 is a cost-effective solution for valves requiring less than 100 inch pounds of torque.
- BI-200/300 Electric Actuators: Our BI-200/300 actuators are reliable options for valves with less than 200 inch pounds of torque.
- BI-400 through BI-1500 Electric Actuators: The BI-400 through 1500 series packs more power, offering excellent control of valves with torques of 400 to 1500 inch pounds. These models come standard with a handwheel override.
- BI-2000/3800 Electric Actuator: Our largest offering for our automated valves, the BI-2000/3800 actuators can handle 2000 to 3800 inch pounds of torque. These models come standard with a handwheel override.
- Positioner Boards for Modulating Electric Actuators: Compatible with all of our electric actuators, this onboard controller allows operators to precisely control valves through the entire range of motion with a 4-20Ma or a 0-10 VDC signal.
- Electric Spring Return/Fail Safe Electric Actuators: Spring return actuators offer peace of mind in environments that may experience power loss. Available for 200 to 1200 inch pounds of torque, our spring return actuators provide a safe and efficient automatic shut-down in the event of power failure.
- Actuator options: All actuators come with a dome position indicator and can be outfitted with auxiliary switches, heaters, thermostats and a variety of accessories to fine tune your application.
Our valves are an essential component of many general industrial operations, including:
- Chemical & Plastic: Tank farms, loading/unloading, and chemical feed lines
- OEM Machinery: Canning machinery, generators, and laundry equipment
- Food & Beverage:Mixing, process lines, steam lines, and water treatment
- Oil & Gas: Storage, fueling, and loading
Electrically Actuated Ball Valves at BI-TORQ
No matter your industry or application, BI-TORQ Valve Automation carries an electric actuated ball valve that will satisfy your requirements. For more information about our line of quality products or assistance with determining the valve and actuator solution that will best suit your needs, contact us, or request a quote today.