BI-TORQ Valve Automation’s fire safe thermal shut-off assemblies are designed for automatic shut-off in case of a fire. They are ideal for flow shut-off protection in systems conveying flammable gasses or liquids such as fuel, solvents, alcohols, toxic chemicals or any other potentially dangerous media.
Our thermal shut-off product group includes three classes of protection:
Thermal Shut-Off (FLP/FL Series): “sentry-type” protection for local isolation. FM approved actuators on assemblies through 3,960 in/lbs. of torque.
Thermal-Electric (TES Series): Local thermal protection coupled with the ability to close 1 or more units with a low voltage remote signal for greater plant protection.
Resettable Block Valve (R-EBV Series): Local and remote protection as well as the ability to quickly test regularly as part of a maintenance program, ensuring valves are not frozen in place.
What Are Fire Safety Valves?
Fire safety valves are critical safety devices designed to keep flammable liquids and gases isolated from extreme heat and open flames. When exposed to high temperatures, fire safety valves close, preventing the flammable liquid from coming in contact with the heat source, whether it is a fire or an overheated system. These thermal shutoff valves are typically available in two configurations: fire safe ball and butterfly valves.
Ball valves designed for fire safety are designed around the American Petroleum Institute’s (API) 607 standard. One of features of a fire safe ball valve is that the valve operates like a normal valve under operating conditions. When there is a fire, the resilient seats will burn away, but a secondary metal will come into play and allow the ball to seal against it. The valves also include graphoil body seals and pack to prevent outside leakage.
Fire safety valves with fusible links include a clock-wound spring pack and trigger attached to a fusible link. The link keeps the valve open in normal operating conditions by maintaining tension on the spring. When exposed to heat above a certain temperature, the link breaks, releasing the spring and closing the valve.
Fire safety valves are critical to a variety of operations, from building safety systems to process equipment. Applications that benefit from BI-TORQ’s state-of-the-art fire safety valves include:
- Primary and backup generators
- Diesel and gas fuel systems
- Biofuel processing plants
- Chemical manufacturing
- Oil and gas refineries
- Storage containers and day tanks
- Schools, hospitals, offices, and other public facilities
The Best Equipment for MRO!
Maintenance, repairs, and operations (MRO) are the fundamental basis for keeping your facility up and running safely and efficiently. MRO includes basic upkeep of the facility structure, building systems, and process equipment. This upkeep includes the maintenance and repair of fire safety systems and equipment throughout every part of the facility, from fire prevention equipment in the front office to automatic shut off valves in manufacturing equipment. Without adequate MRO, your facility may be subject to potentially dangerous equipment failures. Not only is MRO critical to ensuring the safe operation of your facility, it keeps all of your systems operating reliably, and reduces the potential for costly downtime and repairs.
Since manufacturing and industrial operations use an array of production equipment, MRO managers must ensure the safety of mechanical, electrical, and electromechanical systems through the use of appropriate shut off valves. At BI-TORQ, we are pleased to offer a range of fusible link shut off valves specially designed to ensure optimal fire safety in any system. Our fusible link assemblies can be put on our line of high-quality fire safe ball valves or butterfly valves (FLP Series) or on any fire safe certified 1/4-turn valve of your choosing (FL Series). For any system design, you will find a BI-TORQ fire safety valve to meet your needs. Our extensive selection of specialty fire safety valves includes:
- The FL Series: Designed for fire safe certified 1/4 turn ball, butterfly, or plug valves with torques up to 21,000 inch pounds depending on media, pressure and other conditions. This series is ideal for customers or end users who must use plant-specified valves. We have designed adapter kits for a number of the leading valve manufacturers in the world in order to create a high-quality package for API 607 fire safe certified valves. Customer-specified valves are sent to our facility where they are assembled and tested by our experienced team so that they are ready to put in line when they arrive on your dock. We also offer on-site installation when required.
- The TES Series: BI-TORQ’s Thermal-Electric Shut-off (TES) series allows a single operator to transmit a low-voltage signal to a thermal-electric fusible link via a command device or PLC. The voltage causes the link to yield, releasing the spring and closing the valve. The TES design can be used to control a single assembly or an entire bank, and doubles as a thermal shutoff, which will trigger when the surrounding temperature exceeds the link’s rating. The TES system has revolutionized fire safety systems by allowing isolated and group valve shutoffs from one operating location in the event of an emergency, without the need for compressors, pneumatic lines, and other expensive and time-consuming apparatus.
- The R-EBV Series: BI-TORQ Valve Automation’s patented Re-Settable Emergency Block Valve (R-EBV) is used in critical applications that involve highly flammable materials, such as oil and gas refineries, pipelines, and chemical treatment plants. Our R-EBV design allows for the ability to test system, as part of a regular maintenance program, to ensure that the valves are not frozen in place as fire safety valves can sit for long periods of without operation. The series also allows for local push button control, remote triggering and thermal shut-off capabilities.
Reliable Fire Safety Valves From BI-TORQ
BI-TORQ Valve Automation is dedicated to providing only the highest quality, dependable shut off valves for critical applications. From automatic shutoff valves for oil and gas refineries to thermal shutoff valves for your facility’s fire protection systems, we have the equipment, knowledge, and experience necessary to ensure that your system operates with the utmost safety and efficiency.
View our online catalog to learn more about BI-TORQ’s selection of fire safety valves. To see how our state-of-the-art valves and actuators can enhance your operations, contact our experts today or request a quote